Fellows Program Curiculum
All sessions occur 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM on the third Thursday of each month, except for the mandatory retreat in September which includes a Thursday and Friday. Locations vary around Cumberland County. Each session will feature Positive Leadership Curriculum, relevant presentations by guest faculty; cohort interaction; discussion of board fellowships; and various elements of leadership. While respecting program outcomes specific topics, dates, and locations are subject to change.
The Leadership Cumberland program uses Positive Leadership Curriculum designed specifically for community leadership programs. Positive Leadership is about harnessing the potential energy when people come together – social force. Positive leaders take actions that evoke positive reactions. To enhance one’s social force we focus on seven capacities: authenticity, purpose, advocacy, resilience, community building, reason, and gratitude. These capacities are grounded in the field of research known as Positive Psychology. The curriculum provides a rich experience for participants to grow together through lively group discussion and personal.
September 16-17, 2021: Orientation Retreat
Camp Thompson - Gardners, PA
- Selecting Fellowships & Class Projects
- Creating a Cohort (Team Building)
- Understanding Personality Styles: DISC
- High Tower Course
October 21, 2021: Positive Leadership Introduction
- Leadership is not a title or position. Community leaders often need to mobilize others without having authority over them.
November 18, 2021: Authenticity
- Authenticity is an in-depth process of self-awareness, self-acceptance, self-development, and self-assertions.
December 16, 2021: Purpose
- Leaders must learn to discern and articulates their personal purpose as well as the moment-to-moment situational purposes that arise.
January 20, 2022: Advocacy
- To effect change, leaders must make their case for a cause in a way that engages others in order to bring about needed results.
February 17, 2022: Resilience
- Resilient leaders have the capacity to bounce back when things become challenging, allowing them to endure.
March 17, 2022: Community-Building
- Leadership is not a solo sport. It's important to share progress and strengthen other community members capacity for leadership.
April 21, 2022: Reason
- Leaders align their personal views with the world as it really is, increase their social force, and ability to enhance the community.
May 13, 2022: Bus Tour
- Leadership Lessons from the Gettysburg Battlefield
May 19, 2022: Gratitude/Year-End Retreat
- Positive leaders recognize truth that communities thrive based on the contribution of many. The capacity for acknowledging the efforts of the others provides positivity and renewal.
June 16, 2022: Community Celebration & Class of 2022 Graduation
- Class Project presentation to the community
- Formal graduation ceremony